Jessica Albritton, NextGen Minister LHBC
32 Two others, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. 33 And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. 34 And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” And they cast lots to divide his garments. 35 And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, “He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!” 36 The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine 37 and saying, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!” 38 There was also an inscription over him, “This is the King of the Jews.”
Did you know that only 11% of an iceberg is visible outside of the water in which it floats? The other 89% is submerged beneath the water. That’s actually where the phrase “tip of the iceberg” comes from. The fact that only 11% is visible is what makes them so dangerous. Ships navigating the waters must be very careful not to go near them because of their magnitude. On the surface they may appear harmless and small but captains know that they are much larger than they appear and much more dangerous. I feel that icebergs are a lot like sin.
In Luke chapter 23 we read the account of Jesus’ crucifixion on the cross. In verse 34 Jesus says something that has always intrigued me, He says, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” Here Jesus is, in the most excruciating pain, beaten and bruised, mocked and ridiculed, and instead of screaming in agony He cries out to the Father for their forgiveness. Jesus stated that they know not what they do. Here Jesus is, dying for the sins of man and the very men he was dying for couldn’t even see it. I have related to those men more times than I would care to admit.
So often I find myself looking at my own sin like an iceberg. In the moment my sin seems small, a little white lie, a smidgeon of pride, gossip masked as a prayer request, but the fact of the matter is that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I look at the 11%, the consequences that are tangible in my immediate line of sight, and completely neglect the other 89% of the sin. When we really get down to the crux of the matter we can see that “little” sin sent Jesus to the cross.
When we really focus on it, when we see the height and depth, the heaviness, the weight of our sin, we can fully understand Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross. Until we grapple with the fact that our sin required Jesus’ death in order to have atonement we will never fully appreciated the sacrifice Jesus made on calvary. 1 John 3:5 states, “You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.” Sin is a BIG deal, it leads to brokenness and puts a separation between God and us. Jesus was the only one capable of rectifying that! In Christ Jesus we can receive forgiveness. Because of His sacrifice on the cross we can come into a relationship with the Savior of the world! Have you come to grips with the weight of your sin? Take some time today to soak in just what Jesus did for you on the cross and thank Him for His sacrifice.
PRAYER FOR TODAY:
Heavenly Father, thank you for the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross! Lord, may I never treat sin like an iceberg! Help me to always see the weight of my sin and what it required in order that I might have forgiveness. In Jesus name, amen!
MEMORY VERSE OF THE WEEK:
Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.